There is an award passed between bloggers, and I think it’s pretty neat. It’s called the One Lovely Blog award, and you get it by being recognized by fellow writers.
Fun! I received this eAward from Cube Girl, author of the blog Monotony Anonymous, and I am deeply humbled. As a recipient of the One Lovely Blog award, I must follow these steps:
~Write a post linking back to the person that nominated me
~Tell seven things about myself
~Pass this award onto other lovely blogs by linking their sites to this blog and notifying them
Here are my seven things:
1. I like cheeseburgers. When I get stressed, the first thing that enters my brain is: “meat, cheese, (possibly bacon)”.
2. I am a card carrying member of S.P.O.G.G. (Society for the Promotion of Good Grammar). This doesn’t mean I don’t make mistakes, it just means I like grammar. It also means that it’s common for me to yell out, “illegal use of apostrophe!” while reading small-town restaurant menus. I’m usually also on the lookout for “odd” uses of quotation “marks”.
3. My grandmother was more responsible for raising me than either of my parents. Not a day goes by that I don’t think of something she taught me.
4. I have an irrational fear of clowns–you just don’t know what’s under that make-up. (This fear might have something to do with the fact that I have a very clear memory of being three, sitting between my arguing, ready-to-divorce parents, and watching Ringling Brothers Barnum and Bailey Circus. Or maybe it’s the shoes. The freakishly large shoes.)
5. Speaking of the circus, if I ever run away and join up, I hope to perform as an aerialist. The strength it takes to fly through the air with the greatest of ease is inspiring. (Have you seen P!ink’s performance for Glitter in the Air? I want to do that.)
6. When I watch those hoarding shows in TV, I feel better about my house. Then I clean something.
7. For many years, I had a sneaking suspicion that I would one day be faced with cancer. And then it happened. If it turns out that I have some kind of secret power that enables me to predict the future, I think I should start collecting ideas for the decor in my beach house.
Here are some blogs that have caught my eye:
1. Monotony Anonymous…my nominator! I like how she talks about work. I don’t work in a corporate setting, but office stuff is office stuff no matter where you work. Plus, she recently added a picture of the movie Office Space in her post about office celebrations. Little does she know that I have a red Swingline stapler sitting on my desk…Her blog in her words:
As a fresh face in “the real world” (or so it was term by those still living in the warm bosom of academia) I currently inhabit a cozy, lower, rung on the corporate ladder.
This is not a journey in climbing said ladder.
Rather, I choose to bring to you the view from down here. Fun quips, lessons, learned advice, questions and a general survival guide for life’s monotony.
2. Elgin Daily News on Wheels, written by Colleen Linder. She is a homegrown news woman who covers the events, drama, and “goings on” in Elgin, Texas. She is the eyes and ears of small-town Texas! From her About page:
I have dreamed of writing novels. I love to write poems, letters, really anything. I would love to work for our local paper. A good friend of mine that I met through my last job, suggested that I start a blog. I told him I wish I could start my own paper, but since I have no money, he said a blog was the next best thing.
3. Beauty Instead of Ashes, written by Jenn C.. I know Jenn from Azusa Pacific University, where we studied how to be teachers. It was the late 90s, so we wore denim jumpers, palazzo pants, and talked about the clothing of our classmates. She is now a beautiful mother and if you take a look at her blog, you’ll see that she is super crafty and a great photographer. About Jenn:
Born a California girl, married a Nebraska boy, and we now call Texas home. I have 4 beautiful kids, 3 boys and 1 girl. I love to do “crafty” things…sewing is my favorite but I’m always looking for something new to learn. I’m thankful for the daily grace of God in my life and that He calls me His own.
4. keepthecalm, written by jellebelle. This blog is receiving the One Lovely Blog award from me. She writes from the depths of her soul and always leaves me in deep contemplation. Her honesty is beautiful. Her cancer is terrifying. From her About:
I am a 37 year old woman who has tried to triumph while stumbling over a saddened heart, breast cancer while being pregnant and navigation of emotions fueled by pregnancy hormones. Thinking I had overcome and recovered, the cancer returned. Now, I am steering through this stage 4 breast cancer & new neuro-endocrin cancer diagnosis with the crazy treatments that accompany healing, all while trying to be a mom and at my best for my little one. While I am striving to be calm and not fully defined by the isssues that life presents, I am learning to get through them hopefully stronger and braver.
You can’t get much stronger and braver than that.
So, sweet Jelebelle, you are the recipient of the One Lovely Blog award. More than that, you are a beautiful soul, an inspiring mother, and a member of the sisterhood that none of us wanted to join. Keep keeping the calm.